Only My Mother...

Hannah • {aspiring coloratura soprano} •vocal performance major | APSU Gov '21• Eli <3

I really need some advice on this because it has bothered me for a long time. It hurts both me and my boyfriend and it took a toll on us for a little while because I was so torn up about it.

I was telling my mother about a new French restaurant in the town I attend college that my boyfriend and I tried this afternoon for lunch. I told her how great it was and that I highly recommend it.

The only thing she had to say about it was, “Did he pay for your lunch?” Nothing about the restaurant, the food, etc.

She always has to find the negative in anything I say and do, especially when it comes to my boyfriend, whom she does not like for ridiculous reasons. She tries to guilt trip me into breaking up with him because she doesn’t like him.

It really hurts my feelings.

My aunt asks about my cousin’s boyfriend all the time and how he is doing, but my mom just turns up her nose at me and mine. I just wish it was different and that she liked him and trusted me with him.

I’m going to me 20 in February, and my boyfriend and I have been together for over a year now. He and I love each other so much and are very serious about our future. He does not make a lot of money, and my mom is very vocal about her opinion on that matter. Money is not a big factor in our relationship. We love each other and want a future together.

My heart hurts, and she doesn’t realize she is hurting me. I just only hope this gets better in time.