Breastfeeding basics

Hi 👋 I’m a first time mom (4 weeks pp) and I’m starting to feel a little clueless about breastfeeding. I took classes and read about it before giving birth so I thought I would be prepared. Nope!

So I have some questions and you ladies always seem to know what’s up. Please help!

1. I’m currently using a nipple shield (I hate it) because little guy was so sleepy in the hospital he basically would only stay latched for 2 seconds before falling asleep. Anyways, now he can’t latch at all and I don’t know how to wean him off. Any ideas?

2. He is gaining weight but not at the rate he should be so I want to pump to trick my body into making more. I would also like to start stashing breast milk. I don’t really know how to go about pumping. Do I do it before or after a feeding? How long should I do it since I’m also feeding him on demand? Can I pump while he’s in this cluster feeding stage or will it mess with supply?

3. He’s only eating 2-3 times during the night (midnight until 7 am) is that enough? Sometimes after he eats during the night I still feel like I have more milk but he is sleeping so heavy and won’t nurse for any longer so I’m just left with leaky boobs.

4. Is my supply already established? If I pump will it take milk away from his next feeding (hopefully that makes sense lol)

⭐️ I know I asked like a million questions and honestly I’m thankful if someone answers even one of them. I know little guy and I are doing ok but I just want to figure out this whole breastfeeding thing so I feel more confident about it.

Thank you in advance! I will forever be grateful for this app, momming is hard and you ladies help me survive it 💕