Dumb idea? Religious holidays and work.

This is just hypocritical, but something I've wondered about for a while.

So what if the business that insist on keeping thier doors open on holidays let the employees that aren't participants of the current hoildays faith work, and then the following day (or other day) the participanting faith employees could take the non-participating shifts so that they could also have a day off as well. Of course I'm sure there would be issues, particularly with small businesses with few staff members.

Example: Pagans who celebrate Samhain could have their hoilday off, while the non religious or employees of other faiths could cover thier day off. Then when the event is over, the Pagan participants could cover the other employees shift so that the other employees could also have a day off.

Asking ahead for days off is a typical thing, right? So for businesses that insist on being open for the primarily celebrated/had off holidays (Christmas/Easter/Thanksgiving/etc) why doesn't this same thing work? Some companies do this, but some refuse to let off employees for hoildays even though they are of that faith/celebrate it (in cases like Thanksgiving, which is non religious).

Holidays are important to people, so why do others insist of taking that any from them? I'm sure special situations occur, but why doesn't the "request off ahead" method not work for all hoildays? And do you think this "pay back" method with other employees gettings off too could work? How?

(We all know there's people out there exist who want to get fast food or go shopping at the cost of others. Leave that part out of any comments)

Vote below to see results!