Salary transparency?

Sa

I have been seeing a lot of articles lately about salary transparency. I saw that a company actually posted a spreadsheet accessible to all employees, which listed what each person earned and how that salary was figured.

I think it’s great. I have never understood why we are discouraged to discuss salary. If a company is practicing fair paying strategies, what do they have to hide? If they can defend why they pay someone a certain amount, why hide what that amount is?

I am a licensed therapist, but my main job is to train 700+ staff members within my organization. I recently found out that a department within our organization established their own training position and they pay their two trainers more than I make. I found this through conversation. I felt frustrated, because I have worked there longer, I have a higher license, and I train an entire organization, versus one department within one region.

My SO has a federal job. He is used to his salary being made public. He thinks it is silly that all jobs aren’t more transparent about salary.

What are your thoughts? What are potential drawbacks to making salaries public or known to all employees?