Child safety

Why do people insist new moms try things that are considered “unsafe” by professionals , even when new moms state they are not comfortable with it.

I can understand if a FTM asked for someone’s opinion on something

Like if I asked if anyone had any input on bed-sharing

And someone suggested that they liked it and thought it was great and shared information on why it’s good, it’s different.

Because I’m asking for opinions on something that is controversial and someone is giving me their opinion and examples of what they did and advocating for something they found good in their experience because someone asked with good intentions.

But I’ve had people tell me I HAVE to get crib bumpers because “what if my son bumps his head in his sleep”

Well at least he’s not suffocating 🤷🏻‍♀️

I’ve had people tell me I NEED a rock n play because it’ll “save my life”.

I wasn’t even comfortable with a rock n play BEFORE the recall, and I told people not to purchase it for me BEFORE the recall.

And I’ve had people telling me “I’m just nervous because of the recall, it’s really not that scary”.

I’ve had people ALREADY suggest I put rice cereal in my sons bottle when he seems inconsolable and he’s not even born yet.

some advice is “decent” but you just don’t want to hear it

Like someone told me not to get a noise machine because then my son will never be able to sleep without it.

And I can see where they are coming from and I’ll take it into consideration

But if my son is inconsolable and it ends up helping him, I’m not going to refuse him of it.

And that’s my personal decision.

I don’t “hate” advice like that because I know it’s not advocating for something that is known to be potentially dangerous.

But to go beyond suggestions for me to do something I personally find “dangerous” despite me being very clear about how I feel about it, just makes my skin crawl