Who should text first?

My boyfriend and I have been together for about a year. He lives about two hours from me. He took me to his homecoming. We stayed for about 20 minutes before he made us leave to go get drunk and have sex. At the beginning of May, he was upset that I decided to work an extra two shifts to cover the girls at work who went to prom and didn’t tell him that it was my prom weekend. Then at the end of May, he bought the 70 dollar tickets to his prom without telling me and showed up three days before telling me to buy a dress. I told him that I didn’t want to go to his prom and we haven’t really said anything to each other since. Then, a few days ago, he sat outside my house for a few minutes before he drove off. Am I supposed to text and ask why he was outside my house? How do I even ask for my stuff back?

Update: I texted him as to why he was outside my house. He told me that he had my stuff but he didn’t want to barge in and ask for his stuff back without a heads up and my sisters were home (my family doesn’t know that we were together) so he didn’t want to cause a scene. I told him that I’d have his stuff together before I leave for vacation but I don’t want to give his stuff back because I feel like it signifies the end of our great times together. Again, am I just supposed to tell him face to face and hopes he feels the same way or should I leave the box on my porch for him and text him while I’m away?