We broke up. Need help...

Question:

Have you ever known someone (or have been someone) who broke up with their longterm partner because the other was not able to commit to marriage? If so, what happened? Did the other realize what they were losing and realize they wanted to be with them & get married? Did they stay broken up? Something else?

Background:

I just broke up with my bf of 5 years because he has not proposed yet.

•Yes, we’ve had multiple conversations about it.

•Yes, he believes in marriage.

•No, he’s not sure he wants to marry me.

•Yes, I would 100% wait a lifetime for the actual wedding if I knew he wanted to truly have me by his side for the rest of his life.

•No, he’s not too poor that he can’t afford a ring (and I’d accept a ringpop by this point anyway).

•Yes, he’s 28 and old enough to make the decision.

I just can’t figure out why he doesn’t know by now if he wants me and I think maybe it’s just not right and he’s not able to make that decision 😞 I just don’t know.

I’ve wanted the commitment for the past 3 years, and recently I’ve become physically anxious about it and I can’t handle the sadness of it anymore.

He doesn’t want to break up, I don’t either, but 5 years is enough for him to know and I think I needed to pull the plug for him. I told him I will try to move on, and I will try... but in my heart I hope he realizes he wants us longterm and comes back with that 😞 I am so devastated...

Vote below to see results!