New car trouble?!? Advice from car savvy people would be appreciated a lot!!

Bailey

Basically I’m 17 and my parents bought me a new car considering my old one broke and we dumped money into trying to fix it for 2 and a half months with no luck. I never liked my previous car, a 2002 Toyota Camry with faded paint, dents, and cracks everywhere, the interior was messed up, and the car was overall not taken care of. It was bought from an individual seller at $2,500. This time we went to a dealer. It was palmetto wholesale and I’m not sure if it’s world wide so it’s basically a dealership that buys from actions, fixes the cars, and sells them at a lower price. We found a 2002 Jeep Liberty that I absolutely love. It drives so much better than my car ever did, the outside was recently repainted and the plastic detailing looks new or well taken care of, and the inside is cloth so it has some stains but overall still looks better than my car ever did. We bought it with a broken ac. The dealership has the part, but hasn’t had time to get it in the shop and told us to bring it back whenever to get the ac fixed and that if we find any other issues to “make a list” and they will fix them as well. Anyhow today after driving to town my check engine light popped on. I got the code read and it was P1281 which after looking it up it says “engine too cold for too long” I checked my coolant and it’s full so the only other thing it says is a bad thermostat. I looked it up for my car specifically and people say they had the same issue and had to buy a special thermostat because of that specific car it would get stuck open and cause the code to pop up. I told my dad and he is tired of fixing cars I know, but now he just wants to take it back and find something new. I really like this car and told him I would buy the part and find someone else to change it, but could this be the beginning of constant parts breaking? Is it too early for it the start throwing codes and really be that bad, or is the thermostat just a simple fix and issue? If any of you have mechanic boyfriends/husbands/dads I would really appreciate some advice. I want to make sure this car is worth it. I really love it already, no ac yet and all, but if it will constantly cause issues I don’t want to go through that again.