Home birth, totally justified

Christina • 👶🏼11/18💙 05/20💜 11/21💙🐶 L 9/12🧡 S 5/14🖤

My little boy is a big 1 year old now, so I guess I'll share his story

I decided a home birth was the way to go based on family history. My dad was accidentally born at home and my mom was only in the hospital (like, waiting room) an hour before I was born. Plus I have Ehlers-Danlos syndrome which can cause short labor. Basically, I didn't think I'd make it to a hospital.

I woke up at 2:30/3am with contractions. They started 30 seconds long and 8 minutes apart. I couldn't get back to sleep, so I tried to take a bath to relax. I finally got some sleep from 5-7am and then texted my midwife. She told me to try and walk around a bit and eat. We took the dogs on 1 walk, but mostly I just laid in bed. I couldn't keep anything down, threw up twice. My husband helped my time them, my midwife said to let her know when they got to 1 minute long, 4 minutes apart for an hour. For the next 12 hours they stayed between 30 and 45 seconds long, 5-8 minutes apart. She finally called in a prescription to help me keep food down and headed over. My husband went to the pharmacy to get lunch and my prescription. Basically as soon as he left, around 3:30pm, my water broke. I tried to make the bed for the birth but I couldn't, so I went back to the bathroom figuring it was the easiest to clean.

About 4 my husband got back, found me on the bathroom floor, and mildly panicked. He got the bed made, got me up there, and then moved his car for my midwife. She arrived at 4:10, the birth assistant got there at 4:16, and my son arrived at 4:34pm. My mom got there at 4:40 to pick up my dog so he wasn't there for the birth 😂😂

We ended up having to go into the hospital for high bilirubin on day 4, but my birth was perfect. Had the smallest little tear and he came out already screaming. His pediatrician said he had the highest apgar score she'd seen in a while with 8 then 10. Can't wait for #2