Male Factor Infertility Success Story

Mini • 🌈 👶🏼 2017

Hi everyone, thought I would share our LONG story with you and hoping it somehow helps a little. I met my hubby at age 34, he was 32. Both very happy and healthy people. It wasn’t long before we had the talk about having kids, we both so so badly wanted a child and we weren’t getting younger so decided to start trying quite fast after moving in together. I purchased OPK tests and started tracking my cycles. My cycles were spot on every 28 days and I knew exactly when I ovulated each month. After 8 months of trying every month - nothing. Thinking it must be something wrong with me I went and saw a GP for advice. First GP told me “well you’re 35 so maybe you should of tried when you were a bit younger” Well I got out of there real fast. I saw a different GP the next day who was amazing and sent me for every blood test under the sun and a pelvic ultrasound. All came back perfect, hormones perfect and pelvic ultrasound fantastic. She referred me to a gyno/ obstetrician to see if he could help. So I go to this gyno, he does all the same tests including a HSG and says my hormones and tubes etc all great so no reason that he can see I’m not conceiving. He suggests I bring my hubby in to look at having a sperm analysis. Well hubby was very embarrassed and a bit reluctant but eventually went in and gave a sample. We saw the gyno a couple of days later who told us “ um, I’ve looked at the results and sorry to say but there’s no sperm at all”. We were totally shocked, my hubby looked so devastated sitting there. The gyno did another analysis just to be sure but he said there were ‘literally only a few and they were no good” He suggested we look into adoption or maybe at sperm donors and sent us on our way! It was a silent drive home and hubby eventually broke down in tears that evening. I just couldn’t believe that the doctor didn’t suggest anything else. Well I start searching on the internet and it seems that people are talking about seeing a urologist or an Reproductive Endocrinologist. Hubby then recalls that he had to see a urologist in his teens for issues with low testosterone. So off we go to a urologist who basically had to examine hubbys balls, much to his embarrassment. He also ran a lot of hormone testing, a scan and asks a lot of questions eg how much ejaculate, any issues with erections etc. After a few days we get the results, hubbys hormones aren’t right. They find from the scan that there is an issue with his pituitary gland ( located on the back of your head) it’s not releasing the right amount of hormones. He refers us to his friend who is a reproductive endocrinologist and says “ He will help you, you will have that baby” I never have forgotten those words. So we go to this absolutely amazing RE who says he wants to try a new treatment on hubby and see how he responds. It involves taking 3 doses of Pregnyl and 3 doses of Puregon each week by injection. The RE tells us that it “Should” work. He tells us it could take close to 2 years to work though or as little as 3 months. He basically said one day the meds will flick the switch on and things will start happening. If at 2 years of continuous meds and still no sperm then that will mean the treatment has failed. So off we went and hubby immediately started on the meds. The first injections were so hard for him, he almost couldn’t do it but he soon became a pro. His moods were a bit all over the place at first too and he sometimes felt a bit off and dizzy. At 3, 6, and 9 months he went for sperm analysis- all zero sperm 😩 We were losing hope until at 15 months they found sperm. However they said motility etc was poor. At 16 months he had another semen analysis and strangely low sperm count and poor quality again, worse than the last one. We got to the point of well this isn’t working. Hubby and I decided that we will use up the remainder of his meds and then stop trying. Well, at 17 months of him being on the meds I get a unexpected BFP!! We couldn’t believe it! But that excitement was short lived as we had a blighted ovum miscarriage at 7 weeks. Hubby only had about 3 weeks worth of meds left before we were going to quit when surprise again, I fell pregnant only a few weeks after the miscarriage! So the RE tells hubby to come in for his sperm analysis, which at this time would of been about 18/19 months on the meds. We were shocked to hear that there were a lot of healthy sperm and everything looked great 😮 The RE suggested hubby stay on the meds until I reached 12 weeks into my pregnancy which he did. We then managed to have a lot of sperm frozen just in case. Our gorgeous healthy little boy was born in 2017. He is the most amazing thing to happen to us, he brings us so much happiness. Hubby says he would do it all again and soooo here we go again 😬