Feeling guilty for not giving money. Update.

Okay so back in December an old high school classmate asked me on FB if I needed any work done because he needed to buy formula for his daughter. I told him no, but I told him about wic. He said his baby’s mother had wic but she lost her card. I thought that was weird, but I told him to call a hospital and some churches to see if they will donate some milk. Last month we messaged me again asking me if he could send me some money to send his friend. He said he couldn’t send it to his friend because he didn’t have a certain app. I told him no. That didn’t sound right to me. Well, last night he messages me again asking if I could give him $12 so he can add to the $48 he has so he can get a hotel because he has no where to go. At this point I’m annoyed and I tell him I can’t, but I felt guilty so I told him to see if he can negotiate room prices. Idk of you can do that, but I felt bad and wanted to help in some kind of way. Well, I told my friend about it and he said, “well, this guy clearly needs help, and since you knew each other back in high school you could have helped him.” ☹️☹️☹️

Here’s the thing. I graduated back in 2010. This person has not once messaged me before. We weren’t friends in high school, but we spoke from time to time. I’ve known him since 6th grade. He was good friends with my cousin.

No I didn’t send him the $12 because I honestly used that money to buy a game for my daughter on her tablet (stupid I know) and I don’t get paid again until Friday. Also, I wasn’t sure how my husband felt about me helping another male. I will post screenshots below.

Now I feel guilty. Every time he reaches out me it seems like I do have an excuse as to why I can’t/don’t help him. I know that things can happen to anyone. Was I really wrong for not helping? Sometimes I don’t know what’s a scam and what’s real.

Update: Thank you everyone! I really was feeling guilty. I even told myself that if he asks again I would help, but I don’t think I will. I do have a soft spot for helping people, but this situation just didn’t seem right to me.