Walking in parking lot - was I wrong?

I genuinely don’t know if I did something wrong on this scenario so please be kind.

I was walking through the parking lot at our local hospital pushing my 2 year old in his stroller (one of those big jogging strollers that comes as a travel system with the infant car seat). My 2 year old had an appointment with a dermatologist who is part of a practice inside the hospital. We’re behind the rear corner of an SUV when I see a brake light, then immediately a reverse light, and the SUV starts backing up quickly. I’m talking with a second from seeing the red brake light illuminate, it’s coming towards us. I quickly jerked the stroller backwards and away from the vehicle and kinda shrieked because it startled me. Thankfully the guy heard and saw me and stopped before he hit us. So I move the rest of the way back and wait to make sure he’s not going to start going again. He makes eye contact with me and is clearly stopped, so I continued walking to get past so he can keep backing up. As I’m walking, the old man driving rolls his window down and yells at me “maybe next time try walking in the middle, blondie.” For some additional info, there were two cars driving up the aisle (one in each direction).

The blondie part really hit me wrong because he was obviously trying to insult me insinuating I’m a “dumb blonde”. So I stopped and yelled back “you’re not supposed to walk up the middle, especially if there’s a car coming.” He then says “well then I guess next time you’ll get hit.” So I said “And I guess you can hope the police officer who responds to you hitting a toddler because you failed to look behind your car before backing up agrees with you.” I don’t know if he attempted to say anything else because at this point I wasn’t going to argue and started walking again.

But I’m honestly curious what others think about this. Was I wrong for walking over to the side near the parked cars? I was always taught growing up to stay over so you’re not blocking other cars from driving up and down the aisle. It’s *possible* the stroller was in a blind spot for him because it’s shorter, but he easily could have seen me in his mirror and definitely would have seen the stroller too if he had turned around to look like you’re supposed to. Are you supposed to walk in the middle so a parked car doesn’t back into you? That seems like a ridiculous notion but I genuinely want to know others’ thoughts.

Vote below to see results!