Curly Girls??? Where are you??

Kayla

Hey!! Where’s my curly (or feel like your hair is wannabe curly) girls?

I fought my curls HARD for about fifteen years, fought frizz, cried over the stray wisps that just wouldn’t stay tamed no matter what I did. When I was about 15, my mom found the curly girl method, but we took it to the extreme, and once again, I was absolutely hating my hair- it was still frizzy, crunchy with gel- ick- took forever to do (I’m a farm gal, I don’t have forever to fix my hair, but I do want it to look decent 🤷🏼‍♀️), and overall, I. Just. Hated. It.

Finally, at about 18, I decided to break the mold and just try anything and everything I could.

It took a couple of months, but I finally figured out what my hair needed and was able to be happy and comfortable with my curls.

(Sorry, I just woke up in this photo and it shows☺️) This is my hair now. My haircare routine takes between 5-10 minutes a morning, it’s not crunchy, it stays like this for about two days before I need to wash again, and best of all, I’m comfortable with who it is and I love how it looks on me.

My secrets and what I’ve learned-

1. MOISTURISE. Especially if you:

live in a dry climate

If your hair is long like mine and you use gel to give it a boost

Have coarse hair.

I’m not talking just conditioner, because most conditioner, even leave-in stuff, has alcohol in it, which drys out your curls. I use a olive oil blend- it’s homemade, I won’t go into that now- but oil based is wayyyy better than a conditioner. It will take you a couple washings to figure out how much you need- it won’t be a lot.

2. You do what works for you. I stressed out over using “The System” rigorously, following the no brush, no braid, no blow dry, no, no, NO.... until I snapped. It’s not worth it. You do what your hair needs. If that means taking a week of trying different things- more moisturiser, maybe less, a little gel, whatever you need- you do it. It’ll be worth it, I promise!

I feel like this is an insanely long post and I’m hoping gals will actually find it.... if you want to know more, just message me, I’m more than willing to help a fellow curly girl out!!