What NOT to say to my 5 yesr old...

S

I'm 39w and we have a 5 year old daughter. She's wicked smart, serious, and sensitive.

I'm looking for resources online that can help me curb unhelpful comments and unrealistic expectstions family could make about my 5 year old when being introduced to their baby sister.

We had well intentioned family and friends say things to h

er that make me uncomfortable such as, "are you ready to help mommy and daddy out? Will you change diapers and feed the baby? Being a big sister is a big responsibility! Aren't you SO EXCITED for a baby sister??" Her her response is usually a death glare. I didn't realize why it bothered me until I realized she was internalizing these comments and they were weighing on her little soul.

I feel very strongly about protecting her right to meet the baby and safely feel how she feels without judgement. She's out first born not a built in caregiver and I dont want comments like that to seed resentment in meeting her baby sister any day.

In general, my daughter's emotional state is very even keeled and often when she's the center of attention her reaction, even positive ones, seems underwhelming to family and friends observers. Most recently, our gender reveal video revealed that we were having a girl, she's only ever wanted a sister, and she smiled and said yay but her expression stayed mostly neutral.

To us, she's perfect and has the right to be as expressive as she feels.