Boyfriend Over-Reacting?

So my boyfriend and I are arguing about something so stupid he won't chill out... An ex-roommate of ours posted a status on fb about her boyfriend needing a ride from work to our neighborhood (pretty far 40 min drive). Anyhow she contacted me and offered $40.00 gas money... I couldn't pass that up because I got no hours this week and his check is going right to BGE. Anyway, he asked me to go and I said I don't want to because it's far and my car isn't in good condition and my phone didn't have service. I said "I would like to go if you went with me so we are safe" and he just starts freaking out because I'm not being an "adult" when I just want to make it home safe. So he goes "fuck man, storms out and says I'm going out and spending it" what a asshole men can be. I love how he treats me right after I clean the house, do his laundry and while he can just play video games all night...  
P:S he did work today but not long...  but am I wrong for just wanting to go with him to make sure my car made it home safe? Isn't he overreacting?