Trigger warnings

Rachel • Glow Community Manager

There have been a number of discussions recently around the very sensitive issues of pregnancy loss recently, and it's understandably a highly emotional issue. There are no easy answers. What helps one person may hurt another. As a way of trying to strike a balance, I wanted to suggest a small experiment. In a lot of other communities - especially those that deal with equally sensitive issues- it is common to use what are called "trigger warnings" when discussing topics to which the community is especially emotionally vulnerable.

That way, those who find strength in healing in discussing issues can do so...and those who are unable to read about those topics without having an extremely adverse reaction (like panic attacks) are still able to participate without endangering their mental health. 

It's a great way for a community to support all of its members in their journeys. And from my personal experience, it's a relief to know that I won't accidentally be triggering someone else or silencing them.

Here's an example of what a post that mentions or deals with pregnancy lost might look like with a trigger warning:

topic title: "TW:PL, Not-too-specific title"

subject/body: "Trigger warning: pregnancy loss, [new line] rest of post goes here so that no one is triggered as they scroll by".

Would you be willing to try this? I do believe it would greatly help ensure that this remains a safe space for all of our members. Let me know what you think, or if you have any concerns.