Wondering why he turned me down for a booty call🤔🤔

Stacy
I met a guy a couple years ago who worked at a convenience store that I frequented, and he eventually started flirting with me. Over the next couple of years he REALLY kept up with the flirting and so did I (it was fun… What can I say). He would always ask me "so when are you going to ask me to come over and have dinner?" I-- in a cute and playful way--would turn him down because 1) I didn't know if he was seeing someone or not, 2) To me, he seemed like the kind of guy that would flirt with pretty much any girl just to boost his ego, and 3) I assumed if he was really that into me he would just flat out ask me out. (keep in mind that there is a type of "rewards program" at this store and I gave him my phone number for my rewards card every time he would ring up my gas.)
So fast forward to a couple nights ago: Now I work at the same store part-time to have a little extra money because I'm trying to start my own business. He recently moved on to a better job, but he still comes in and totally flirts with me just the same as always. The other night when he came in (keep in mind that I have a VERY stressful situation going on in my life right now, and add to that the fact that I have not been with anyone in YEARS) I told him flat out that "I know his type (as far as flirting with any girl for an ego boost), but that I could really use a distraction. We went back-and-forth, playfully of course, and he told me that he broke up with his girlfriend 4 months ago, went on one date during the past four months and did not like it. Then he said that he was not looking for a relationship and I replied "I never said anything about a relationship". 
He TOTALLY turned me down and said "I have frozen groceries in my car and I have to get them home, but try not to think about me TOO much tonight."
I just don't know what to think about it!!! Any opinions would be much appreciated. 
(I will admit that I've felt several emotions since then. I've gone from being really angry to understanding, to humiliated, and now, most importantly sad 😭😭 because after thinking about it I think I may actually kind of like him.) 
Please let me know what you think, and if any other men out there have an opinion please share! Thank you. 
    Â