Went to the ER for a fever and came out with my baby!

Rafaela
Sunday morning I woke up with a pretty bad headache and pain in my upper right abdomen. I just brushed it off as another symptom of pregnancy but then I could feel myself starting to get a fever so I checked my temperature and it was 101.3! I called the emergency line for my OB and the on-call doctor told me to come in. After several exams and blood tests, they still couldn't pinpoint what was wrong but didn't feel comfortable sending me home so I stayed over night in the labor and delivery unit. On Halloween, I felt fine but my doctor wanted me to stay another night because my blood pressure was higher than she was comfortable with. The next morning and most of the day I still felt good and was told I would be going home the next morning (Nov 1st). Around 6PM that night, I started getting chills and my fever jumped to 107.1! When the nurses hooked me up to the monitor to check on baby, her heart rate was through the roof at 190 bmp. They kept me and her hooked up to monitors for about two hours, pumping me with fluids and medication to try to get my blood pressure (which had also skyrocketed) and fever to go down. When nothing changed, we had to make the difficult decision of delivering at 30 weeks. I was terrified but my doctor was confident that both baby and I would feel much better once she was out. She was right. I went in for my c-section and Skylar Iman was born on 11/01/2016 at 10:38PM weighing 3.9lbs. It seemed like as soon as she was delivered, all of my symptoms went away. It was so crazy! After looking at my bloodwork, it turns out that I have an infection in my uterus. They still haven't been able to pinpoint exactly what the infection is (I'm still in the hospital now), but I'm so grateful that Skylar was delivered when she was. She'll be in the NICU for about 3-4 weeks. So far she's doing really well! I can't wait to be able to bring her home!