Giving birth in jail

\`

I recently read an article about a woman (Jessica Preston) being forced to give birth in jail because no one believed her that she was in labor, despite the bloody show. She was there awaiting court for driving with a suspended license and couldn't afford to post bail.

There was also a woman in jail in Texas (? also awaiting trial? I couldn't find any documentation of a conviction) whose baby died while she gave birth alone in solitary. The county settled for $262k but did not admit fault. (Nicole Guerrero if you want to read.)

These are just a couple of examples of something that evidently happens with some frequency. I didn't appreciate until I read the first one that the people most likely to be affected are people awaiting trial who can't afford bail and who may or may not be subsequently found guilty of anything.

So for discussion, do people think this is OK? Is this what people arrested but not yet convicted should expect late in pregnancy? Are crimes like drug possession or driving on a suspended license a big enough threat to society to risk mom and baby's lives over?

Attached screenshots but they might be fuzzy.