friends hate my crush

so I've had a crush on this guy for 6 years. I grew up with him from pre-k until now; we've always gone to the same schools. I started liking him in 4th grade and now I'm going into 10th. We were super close in 7th and 8th grade and then high school changed that because we didn't have any classes besides homeroom together this year. we're still friends, just not as close as we used to be. I'm comfortable around him and I can keep my cool.

but he's so cute...I've tried for the longest time to get over him because he doesn't like me like that but he really is so cute. this sounds super corny (forgive me lol) but I got him his favorite candy for xmas just as a friendly thing and he picked me up and hugged me but just in a friendly way?? and I sound like a psycho but SHUCKS I will forever love that hug. what i'm trying to emphasize here is that it is NOT easy for me to get over him. it's been 6 years and try as I might, I cannot do it. I'm head over heels.

I lost my best friends from middle school when we went to different high schools, so I made new best friends. I have 3 really great best friends and I love them to pieces. the only problem is they all hate the guy I like. two of the three have had bad experiences with him and one just doesn't like him. apparently, he's turned into an asshole since we got to highschool. I can't really believe it because I've known him for so long and he's never struck me as an asshole. the only asshole-ish thing he's done to me is leave me on read. it pisses me off but it isn't enough to stop me from liking him. every time I get upset at the realization that he will never like me, my friends tell me to just get over it because I can do better and because he's an asshole. first off, NO I cannot do better. secondly, as aforementioned, I do not see him as an asshole. sorry, I guess? If I can't love him as a crush, I love him as a friend, and I'm loyal to him first because I've known him my whole life and he's like family to me. it's hard to understand. I seem stupid and naïve but this is just how I feel and it sucks having friends who are so unsupportive. whatever I just really needed to vent.