11 month old won't sleep....

Julie • Mom of boys. 👨‍👩‍👦‍👦

Ok y'all, I need major help. My 11 month old son has never been a great sleeper. At 6 months old we did a progressive waiting cry it out method for sleep training and while it helped him break the rock n play and swaddle, he still woke up frequently through the night. When he would wake up I was able to nurse him back (after the appropriate intervals of course). Then my family went on vacation and everything got thrown off. He had to co-sleep during the trip and as soon as we got back he got an ear infection and was teething. So being so tired I let him cosleep figuring he needed a little extra support to get through his illness. Now he is better and is not wanting to sleep alone anymore. I tried retraining him and it is not working. He just cries and cries and it's breaking my heart. I wouldn't even mind co-sleeping but he still wakes up several times a night crying and seems restless. I have to breastfeed him to get back to sleep. I can count on one hand how many times he's slept through the night. I've bought sleep books and tried many methods but nothing is working. I took him to the pediatrician and she said to keep trying. I'm just at a point where I am so exhausted and I know he is too. I just want my family to rest. He is not a great napper and if worst comes to worse we will drive him around to get him to sleep. If anyone has any tips or suggestions or insights please let me know! Thanks in advance