Dear Dad

It's been a while. 5 whole years. When you died, I was only 12. Not really old enough to start thinking about boys. I was content with just you. You were teaching me how I should be treated. You never got a chance to finish... But, Dad, I met an amazing guy. His name is Jacob. He's really sweet and he puts others before himself. He's trying to pick up where you left off and teach me how i should be treated. He may only be 6 months older, but he's smart and mature. He's in the Navy (guess liking sailors runs in the family). He wants to teach me how to cook a steak and about Star Wars. He said he sees a future with me, Dad, and I must say, I see one with him too. He's pushing me outside of my comfort zone and helping me test my boundaries. I trust him very much. I think you'd like him. Secretly at least. Nick met him and said he seems like a good guy. I wish you could meet him. Maybe I'll bring him by the cemetery one day. He makes funny faces to cheer me up when I'm sad. We have conversations that go late into the night. He lets me be anxious and cry and then calms me down instead of running away. He'll probably end up meeting some of your friends from the station (because you and Mom would want him to). Talk soon Dad. Love and miss you....