Dr thought I had a kidney infection...

Arianna

Went to the doctor with pretty bad lower back pain, so bad it was hard to sleep, work, do daily tasks. She immediately told me I had a kidney infection. I had no fever, vomiting or symptoms but she prescribed me Cipro anyway and told me to take it for a week. Well, I’ve had kidney infections before and they’re completely debilitating. I immediately objected and asked her to look at my back and she did telling me yes the pain is in the exact spot for kidney pain. I was like well, no actually last time the pain was here and she argued saying the kidney system is very long and the infection could be in a different spot than last time. She seemed very confident in her diagnosis and then tells me if my urine culture comes back negative she’ll call me and tell me to end the Cipro. So after 3 days of taking Cipro, gallons and gallons of water and pedialyte I found no improvement in my symptoms. I decided to get a second opinion from an NP at Planned Parenthood who I’ve seen before for birth control. (She commented at the time she was surprised how they treated my previous infection) She, like me, didn’t think I had a kidney infection but assumed that since the doctor hadn’t called my test must’ve been positive. She mentioned Cipro was black boxed and could cause my Achilles to rupture. Thanks for prescribing it doc!! She changed my antibiotic and told me to call in 3 days if nothing has changed. So, same thing lots of water, a sulpha antibiotic and rest and still no improvement. It took me 4 days to get an appt with the NP and basically, they went over my previous culture I had pulled off my chart online and it was negative. The doctor never even called to tell me to stop taking the antibiotics. So I took 10 days of antibiotic for literally nothing and still have major back pain and now bloating from the antibiotic. Ugh!! I have a massage appt for next week since that was the first appt but I’m worried it might be something else? Anyone else have a similar experience with any sort of outcome? My back is getting better after a week of rest but it still hurts pretty bad. I’ve tried some yoga and stretching but I’m not sure if it’s helping or hurting yet. Thanks for your time!!