Do you feel there is an issue with normalized ageism against teens and young adults?

su

There are many stereotypes, generalizations, and assumptions made on teens and young adults. Some view this as an issue and discriminatory, and some see this as justified and simply reality. What do you feel?

Nearly every day I see people say things such as ”im not going to put weight on a 16yo opinion when she's barley lived life” or ”teen boys are just blinded by hormones” or ”as an 18yo your not even a real adult yet, youre barely legally one” and a thousand others, and I almost never hear anyone think there's anything wrong with statements like those. I also often see people say that they are not comfortable or don't like speaking to young people about topics, and I don't mean sexual or inappropriate topics, but everyday ones. Why do you think this type of thinking is so common? Do you think it is justified and has factual backing? Do you think its purely ageism and harmful?

Bonus question: Do you ever find yourself writing off someones opinion because of their age?

Vote below to see results!