Life has been put into perspective by our baby boy

Nicole

We have had such a hard journey to parenthood already and it really has put our world into focus for us. Last year we had two miscarriages one after another and so when we fell pregnant this third time we were filled with anxiety. Everything was going along perfectly this time and I am now 36 weeks pregnant. We had a 36 week growth scan on Monday and that’s when everything changed.

At the growth scan they found something wrong with our baby boys brain. He had an area on the scan that was appearing bright white that shouldn’t be there. The dr at the ultrasound couldn’t tell us what it was, he said it could be a range of things such as a bleed, an infection due to cytomegalovirus or a tumor. We were referred back to our OB who happened to be away on holiday this week. Her colleague luckily for us took care of us, he organized for us to get a more high resolution ultrasound performed and to meet with a fetal neurologist. Unfortunately, these appointments didn’t happen until Wednesday so we had the worst day of our lives Tuesday thinking through all the possible outcomes.

We got to the appointment this morning and everyone was being so very nice as they went through the ultrasound, we could clearly see something was inside our babies brain and the doctors and technicians were taking measurements and talking amongst themselves and told us they would explain it all to us afterwards with the help of the neurologist. It was at this point my poor husband almost fainted and he had to be taken out of the room to lay down and be monitored. Thank goodness my mum was also with us to hold my hand.

After everything we have found out our boy has something called a lipoma growing in his corpus callosum. It is a rare growth to have that is congenital and just due to how the babies brain has formed. As scary as this sounded to us it is probably one of the best outcomes possible for our baby boy - 80% of the time it is asymptomatic and there is just a 20% chance he may have some learning difficulties once school age. The neurologist said there are people walking around in the world with this growth and will never know.

We are getting an MRI performed next week to make sure there’s no further damage to our boys brain, especially the surface area because that could mean he has seizures but the neurologist seemed very optimistic our boy will be asymptomatic.

This whole thing has turned our worlds upside down. It has made us realize just how very much we are already in love with our little guy who doesn’t even have a name yet. All the other concerns and complaints about my pregnancy (like my SPD and insomnia) all seem so insignificant and now easily surmountable. I know we have the very best health care here in Melbourne - I am so grateful for where we live. And our boy is going to change our world for the very best! We can’t wait to meet him.

Thanks for reading our story, wishing you all the very best for a happy and healthy baby and arrival. Not long now until we meet the precious little beings who we already love so very much. Xo