Is it normal?

I’m not doing it on purpose, I just do it to get relief. I’ve been exclusively pumping since bringing baby home on Tuesday. My milk “came in” Wednesday and ever since my boobs have been swollen, hot, and incredibly painful. So I pump until virtually nothing comes out because it makes them feel better, longer. My question is though, I consistently pump about 8-12oz per session, and she only eats like 2-3oz per feeding. It’s safe to say I have an over supply already but it’s either that or in my constant pain. Is this normal, I formula fed my first so I don’t know.

I haven’t been able to nurse her directly, she never latched properly despite trying at every feeding.

I only pump until empty because it makes the pain go away longer. If I only pumped enough to take the edge off I’d be pumping every hour or so.

The pain does go away once I’ve pumped, and I’m on hour 4 now without pain after this morning. I know the signed of mastitis and such and it’s not at that point, I had it with my first while waiting for my supply to dry up.

I plan to talk to the lactation consultant but she’s out of office until Tuesday.

*update*

No pain or engorgement since this mornings pumping session. I’m not going to complain about a over supply for now, it’ll come in handy to have a freezer stash later.