Murder victim families not knowing where the killer is incarcerated

Esther • I’m better than horrible. EMT and Respiratory Therapist

This may have a TW!

Okay so back in 2012 this 10 year girl when missing on her way to school in my local area (Northern Colorado.) there was a huge search and amber alert and everything. Then police get this tip from a grandma saying she thinks her 17 year grandson killed and sure enough they found the remains in their home and he confessed. Seriously, probably the most f***** that’s happened in the 22 years I’ve been here.

So they did an interview with the mother and grandmother of the victim (the mom had another baby.) and things got HEATED. I don’t really remember how it came up, but they (especially grandma) went on a rant about how it’s unfair that the justice system will not disclose what jail/state the killer is in. Apparently his whole identity is kept off of public record so it’s not even like they could search a database. The grandma even mention trying to look him up. The grandma added “he knows where I am why can’t I know where he is?” And the mom added “they say it’s for his safety, but what about my daughters safety? She didn’t get that luxury.”

From reading the comments this seems to be common practice for high profile crimes to keep the inmate safe from I guess the family trying to take a hit out on the person? Lol. It sparked a pretty interesting debate in the comments if family members of victims should be allowed to know where the guilty party is being held in custody. What are your thoughts?