Should parents be allowed to refuse a child’s placement in a bilingual class when that child speaks no English?

Manda 🦈 • Staying home is the new going out. And stop inviting people over... stay home with the people you actually live with. 😷

This is an issue that’s coming up a lot at my school right now. We have always had a very significant population of students who speak Spanish at home and get ESL support at school. However, at the end of last year, and now again as this year begins, we are receiving so many students who just came to America, speak no English, and in some cases, have no record of any formal schooling. When they are screened for placement, they always qualify for placement in the bilingual program. This year, many parents are opting out, because some classes are full and the kid would have to go to another district school (transportation is provided in that case). These kids are sitting in class with someone like me, who knows only a few words and phrases in Spanish. Some classes have 5 or more kids who speak no English.

I’ve always thought that parents should have the choice to place their child where they want them to be (general education, special education, public school or private, etc.) But now I’m beginning to change my mind. I see my students bored, frustrated and acting out because they don’t understand anything. I’m using other students as translators to help get things done (or just to figure out why a student seems upset or confused). Everything takes so much longer because we are trying to translate it (and it’s really hard for my little guys to translate for math problems, science content, etc.)

I could understand opting out of bilingual class if your child is beginning to speak and understand English, but I don’t think it’s right to do so when the child truly doesn’t understand anything. I’m honestly surprised to see what a huge impact it’s having on my class overall.

What do you guys think? Should parents be allowed to opt out of these bilingual classes and have their child placed in a regular, general education class?