Midwife said Im putting on too much weight

Cami

I don’t know who else to talk to about this other than you guys. Reading the posts on here have felt like the only support through this pregnancy.

I saw my midwife today for the first time in 2 months and the first thing she said to me was “oh my god I didn’t recognise you, you have put on that much weight” she continued to make me feel horrible about the weight gain, saying it’s increasing my risk of a c section ect and just making me feel like a failure. (I’ve put on 12kg total so far)

I explained to her that I put on 25kg in my last pregnancy and had a healthy 7.9pound baby and lost the weight as soon as I stopped breastfeeding.

The problem is now I’m so upset about the comments of weight I haven’t been able to move off the couch or stop crying since the appointment.

I grew up with a LOT of pressure from my dad over what I ate, how much I exercised and weighed and it manifested into really unhealthy habits with food as a teen and young adult.

Weight is such a touchy topic for me, and I have previously explained that to the midwife... I had ALSO explained to her previously that I doubt I would be able to stay within the guidelines of only putting on 7kg the whole pregnancy as my body seems to pack it on during pregnancy

Maybe I’m just being too sensitive, but I just don’t know how to deal with this, I don’t want to be more restrictive on what I eat or go on a diet but after the comments from my midwife I just feel like absolute shit. I think I might see if I can birth somewhere else.

I’ve added a picture for reference on my size, 86kg 171cm tall and 29 weeks pregnant. And didn’t feel anything but normal before today.