What do you ladies think about toddler leashes?

I hate them!! I never needed them with my Irish twins but I have a toddler now and he’s not like my other kids when they were younger, he’s a runner!! I hold his hand when we walk but when he says he wants to go a different direction and I won’t let him he will literally drop himself to the ground even while holding his hand, he won’t get up no matter what I do and it’s a struggle for me because I have an 8 month old that I carry in his baby carrier so I can’t even pick him up 😩 well I ordered a toddler leash and it arrived today, I tried it on him and I didn’t feel right at all 🙁 it feels so wrong and he cried he didn’t want it but then he got the hang of it and I still didn’t feel right using it. It’s just so hard for me specially when I pick up my son from school I have to take my baby in his carrier and I’ve been using a small stroller for my toddler that way he would stay still but it’s just so hard and it’s easier for me to just hold his hand if he would even let me ugh any other suggestions you ladies might have?