Friend recently diagnosed

Cristina • Cancer survivor (Hodgkin's lymphoma); hobbyist photographer/editor; Archaeology student at Johns Hopkins University; 22.
So a friend of mine was recently diagnosed with Bile Duct Cancer. I'm mostly in shock at the odds that two people who've known each other for a year and a half and run in the same circle could be diagnosed with cancer. She luckily needs less chemo, and it seems to be an early stage. 
I just wanted to post on here to say life is funny and crappy sometimes. Also asking for advice. I've tried to be as informative as possible about chemo, but since everybody's experience is different, I don't want to freak her out. She keeps saying that seeing me gives her courage. I don't want to tell her that I was genuinely depressed for a few months when I wasn't here at school, when none of my friends saw me. Should I just help her when she needs it, or prepare her for the worst? 
Also, planning on giving her a gift basket. Things that you would've liked in a gift basket for chemo? 
Much love. ❤️