RIP Diem

Gunce • Head of research at Glow. Unwilling infertility expert. 2 kids after 6 IVF treatments.

Very few people would know or guess this about me - given my nerdy background, my let-me-read-science-journals in my free time personality, but I have been a secret watcher of RWRR challenges on MTV for a very long time (a decade at least). While I hate almost all reality TV shows, but my sister-in-law got me hooked on this and I could not let go.

And so the news of Diem's death hit me hard this morning. Diem was one of the stars of the show. And her cancer kept her company for years as she completed one challenge after another. She was the very definition of grace under fire. Whatever demons she faced in private, on air she was nothing but fierce and competitive - with a desire to win. As if for her, winning meant living.

I think the thing that I most admired about Diem is that she took the bad and made something good with it. She created the organization MedGift.com which helps patients’ crowdsource funds for their ridiculous medical bills.

I encourage everyone to check it out. It's a valuable tool to support anyone in our lives who might need it.

Rest in peace, Diem.