I need serious advice.

Is there anything wrong with me telling my boyfriend/child's father that he doesn't have to provide for ME financially, just our son? I work for my own, plus we're not married (& we don't even live together. Not yet at least. We're both only 20 & still working on a place) I told him the only person he HAS to take care of & buy stuff for is our son when he gets here. If he chooses to buy ME anything or give me money for my own personal needs (which he does sometimes) he can, but he doesn't HAVE too. However my family has a problem with it. They feel like, regardless if I work, he's obligated to take care of his son as well give me money from his paychecks every time he gets paid so I have money for myself. (His mother, who he lives with for now, makes him help pay rent and bills until he moves out, which is another reason I don't ask him for much.) I feel like we are NOT married & I have my own job, so he not obligated to do any of that for ME, just our son. Like I said, he willingly gives me money sometimes and pays for things for me (& ALWAYS buys stuff for our son) but my family feels Like he should be giving me half of all of his checks for MY personal needs. I wanna do my relationship the way I want, but my family is not ok with the way it is. Is there anything wrong with what we're doing? Is there anything wrong with me NOT asking him for money to buy stuff for myself?