Looking for a different option

Rachel
Hey ladies! I've been having trouble with my birth control lately. A few months ago I got the initial 3 months of the oral kind I was on the very first time I started BC. 
Back in 2011, I LOVED it (No cramps, 3 days of light bleeding, absolutely incredible.) However this year, it was terrible and just the opposite. Anyways, I finished the third month just to see if my body would adjust, and it didn't. So I didn't go refill...But I feel like I should be on it again, as I am sexually active and not ready for kids. 
I'm looking for different options and experiences from different women. 
I've only ever taken oral bc, I've had maybe 3 or 4 different brands. And it has always been a low dose
My roommate has the chip in her arm, which I've considered, but it caused her to gain weight (yes I know it's different for everyone) 
I've heard horror stories about the different kinds you put up inside you so I'm not too much of a fan of that..  
I don't know too much about the depo shot. 
Also because I know age/build/activity level can sometimes can be factors in different methods, I am 23 years old, 5'9, 155, athletic, and relatively active.