child support ?

I've been contemplating for a while now on putting my baby's father on child support, just for the simple fact that he always has an excuse for everythingggg , he never asks for or has his son, only to get his hair cut or if I need him to go on a school trip or something with him other than that he doesn't do anything, his mother probably has him wayyy more than he does , he doesn't put his child first at all , I always tell him like what if I were to pass one day then you wouldn't have a choice but to take care of him & it's always an excuse with him , he has like two or three jobs, doesn't have a car & live in these cheap ass apartments plus he has a roommate so that's really no excuse for not having money for his child's needs, I take care of him & do everything by myself, my whole check goes towards my rent which is still not enough, I have wic & food stamps but he still needs clothes, shoes, toiletries, diapers, medication, I have Medicaid but I still have to pay a co pay , you know needs that wic , & stamps doesn't cover , I pay for daycare, it even got to the point where I had to go through the process of getting childcare assistance & I still pay for that, I literally do everything by myself because I hate asking people for anything, & when I asked him beforehand it's always an excuse, the bank closed, I don't have a card, how tf you have a bank account with no card??? That don't make sense at all, then on top of that I'm a full time student soo of course I have to watch my child during my work hours, it's just ALOT , but you know I never complain because of the type of person I am, but now I'm fed up , I feel bad for having to take it to the courts but I gotta do what's best for me & my child .