Mirena IUD

So today I went to my doctor about birth control because I'm on a blood clot medicine for my heavy periods due to the side effects of bc. I plan to go into the Air Force and found out they allow birth control! I've tried a lot of different birth controls since 5th grade up until I was junior in high school and i noticed that I had side effects and it stopped working, so my doctor said the best thing would be the Mirena IUD. She suggested because pills have never worked and she said a lot of girls that went into military used that specific IUD. They put in in the uterus and enter it like you would a tampon, and from what I've heard it has minimal side effects. They said the worst side effect would be cramping for a little while. I've heard bad things about the IUD's that they insert into the arm so that's not an option. 
I didn't know if there were any ladies that got an IUD inserted into their uterus and how they like it as far as controlling heavy bleeding, side effects and etc? Thank you all in advance!