Nursing to sleep - help!

Jillian

My son has never been a good sleeper. Somewhere around 2 months, I made the mistake of allowing him to nurse to sleep. Even though I knew it was a bad idea, it helped him fall asleep much faster (and without tears). He is now 5 months and cannot fall asleep on his own - or stay asleep. Even when I nurse him to sleep, the second I put him down, he wakes up. I end up letting his hang onto me until he’s asleep, then I keep him in my arms until he is in a deeper sleep, then he often wakes up after 20 minutes, repeat the whole process, and eventually (1-2 hours later), he’s finally down. I continue to do this because I know how badly he needs his sleep, but I know I’m only making it worse. I am exhausted and frustrated and mad at myself for allowing this to get so bad. Anyone successfully get their child to stop needing to nurse to sleep? I’ve tried putting him in his crib drowsy but awake and with a pacifier - he will either cry (if he’s grumpy) or flop around in his crib making noises. He will not fall asleep on his own. I know this is my own fault - any tips to get out of this mess? I can’t even count the number of hours I spend trying to get him to sleep everyday.