Family doesn’t want us to have children

Bettis

My husband and I moved across the country away from both our families over the summer, so he can get his masters. My family has expressed that we shouldn’t have children right now for several reasons:

1. Money. We don’t have much. School is expensive, and babies are expensive. My family is well off, and we have chosen a lifestyle, in which that will never be the case. They express often that we can’t afford to have kids.

2. Age. We are both 24. We got married earlier this year, and my family thinks we need to wait and enjoy life first. (My mom didn’t have me until 36.)

3. Distance. They also don’t think we should have kids unless we are living around them because they feel like they need to help us.

Despite all of these things, my husband and I want to conceive. If we do, I wouldn’t know what to tell my family. They often express the concerns above, and my mom even made me get on birth control a while ago. I guess I’m afraid of telling them because I don’t know how they would react. Should we pretend we got pregnant on accident or just tell them to mind their own business?

Any suggestions on how to handle this situation?