Hiring Process

Ny`Shalah

Hi ladies. I posted here last week asking for advice because I was considering hiring an assistant. I have an Education Consulting Business, which I run from home. After thinking about it, discussing it with my husband, talking about it with it my parents, and looking at the comments some of you left, I have decided that hiring an assistant would be really beneficial to me. However, now I have another dilemma. The only time I have ever hired anyone is when my husband and I hired our housekeeper, which was through an agency. I was a second-grade teacher before becoming a mom so I have little knowledge of hiring and personnel. My husband has a little experience with hiring, but as a coach he doesn't have a lot of experience either. I do not plan to hire the assistant until around August. My husband and I have an anniversary trip planned for the end of this month and we have three trips planned for next month. Therefore, I believe it would be best to wait until after our summer festivities are over. I have a few questions:

1) When should I start advertising?

2)When should I begin conducting interviews?

3) Should I do "orientation days" for a few days just to get my employee used to things?

I am only advertising to retired individuals with secretarial and clerical experience who are looking for part-time work. The salary will be $25/hour for 15 hours per week (three days per week for five hours per day). Their duties will include filing, scheduling conference calls, scheduling presentations, assisting me with planning some things, and of course taking phone calls.. I will handle all financial aspects.