Could taking progesterone mask or delay a miscarriage?

Kelly • 2014 wife 💏 • 2017 special needs mama 🎀💪🏻 • 👼🏼👼🏼👼🏼• 🌈 due Oct

Ok. Long story:

I had two MC back to back in 2018. One at 5 weeks and one at 8. Both times I started spotting. With the second MC I even went for a repeat ultrasound as we had already seen Baby with a strong heartbeat the week before, and we STILL saw a heartbeat and growing babe. Sadly a few days later, after the bleeding hadn’t stopped, I knew I was miscarrying and another US showed no more heartbeat.

I’m now what I believe to be 8 weeks 4 days pregnant. I had started taking progesterone this time around as we saw my levels begin to drop. I had an ultrasound on Monday when I should have been 8 weeks 1 day. Baby was only measuring 6 weeks 3 days and the heart beat was very low, so both my OB and I are not optimistic. I know my dates could be off but I’m pretty confident on how far along I should be. What’s strange is my HCG and progesterone are still increasing appropriately.

I left the ultrasound very sad and have been waiting all week for the worst to start happening, but it hasn’t. I feel fine. No cramping and no spotting. Considering I’ve had 2 miscarriages naturally, and the last time my body started miscarrying before the baby’s heart even stopped, I assumed my body would know what to do.

I’m wondering if by taking progesterone it’s tricking my body into thinking this pregnancy is still going smoothly? Is it possible to have a missed miscarriage after having 2 MC? Could progesterone be masking or delaying the inevitable? Or do you think there is still hope that somehow Baby will continue to develop?

I just feel so Confused about what’s going on this time around. (Apologies for the novel lol)