In love with my best friend

Amy

So I recently started talking to this guy, I invited him over a friends house and he met one of my good friends and they became really close. But at the same time me and him became really close, I would stay up all hours of the nights talking to him just to find out he did the same with my best friend. He would always lead me on and say very flirtatious things. I became very attached and then every time he would say something about her I would just become upset. It got to the point where it was unbearable and I didn’t want to talk to him anymore bc it would hurt too much. And at the same time I didn’t wanna loose a close friend. I decided to ignore him and told him I was going on a cleanse where I didn’t talk to anybody. He found out that it was only him I wasn’t talking to and asked if it had to do with my friend. I told him It did a little and then he continued to ask if it had to do with me. I then replied I should probably stop talking to you right now. He went “can I guess” and I quickly left him on open. I think he knows now and I think I should just come out and tell him but I’m scared bc I know he probably doesn’t like me the same way because if he did he wouldn’t be talking about my best friend to me. I said I would explain myself on Friday. I don’t know if I should tell him the truth and risk things being different or come up with a lie on to why I stopped talking to him. Please let me know what I should do or if you’ve ever been in the same situation.