I think my husband is afraid of me sometimes

Please please no mean comments because I’m so beyond upset about this and I truly want to work on it and be better.

I can have a bit of a temper sometimes. I overreact and get mad and yell. I often take it out on my husband but I’m trying really hard not to.

The other day my husband said he would make dinner because I had a doctor appointment after work. Turned out he was a little late leaving work himself and had to stop to do a couple errands so he was running behind on dinner. When I got home he was frantically running around the kitchen and telling me he was so sorry and he was trying to get everything done on time, and he lost his wallet because he was in such a hurry (it ended up being in his car, but still).

He was in such a panic and scrambling like this because he was afraid I was going to get mad that dinner wasn’t going to be ready when I got home. I feel sick thinking about this. How could I have made him feel this anxious, this afraid that I would react badly to something like that? But the truth is, he’s not wrong to be worried. That IS something that would set off my temper.

I grew up with a father who threw tempers like this. I haven’t spoken to him in a decade. And I’m so completely terrified that I’m becoming him. I don’t want to be like this. I don’t want my husband to feel anxious and scared of me like me and my mom were of my dad.

I want to be better. How do I fix this???