Waiting for it to be acceptable?

My boyfriend and I have been together for almost 3 months now, we spend every free minute together and he treats my toddler son like he was his own. He is exactly what I've been looking for in a partner. We've already had lots of discussions about what we want for the future and what's important to us and we both feel the same way. It feels like at this point we are just waiting to take the next steps because we have only been together a short time. The first month we were together I had my own apartment but now I've had to move back in with family and he lives with his family too so we are having a hard time just finding somewhere to be without being in everyone else's space. We want to move in together but our family's will say it's too soon even though we spend every free minute together and financially it would make more sense to split rent and such and he is moving to another location for work and would have to drive 30+ minutes there and back instead of a 5-10 minute commute. We have discussed the reality of it and feel like the only reason we can't is because of people saying it's too soon. Honestly if I was reading this I'd think no matter what 3 months isn't enough, I feel like maybe 6 months it might not seem like such a big deal but I just feel like when you know you know and I feel like this is the right person for me and my son. I am 20 and he is 21.

What's your thoughts? Do you have any similar stories?