The Set Up pt.10

Jayce texted Brooke as he was getting out of class. He had 10 minutes before his next one & he wanted to see her.

Jayce: Hey gorgeous, where are you?

Brooke read her text as she was sitting down to coffee with Luke. She didn’t want to lie to him, but she had to. She didn’t want to hurt his feelings. She decided to keep this from him & would explain it to him later when the time was right.

Brooke: Class is running late. Professor won’t stop talking... I’ll see you at lunch?

Jayce conveniently walks by the coffee shop, the same one Luke & Brooke are at when he reads Brooke’s text. He backs into the door frame so he’s not seen.

Jayce: Yeah, see you at lunch.

He sent the text, gripped his phone & looked back at Luke & Brooke one more time before walking out.

Luke & Brooke spent three next half hour talking about what happened. Luke explained that he didn’t love the Blonde, whose name is Gabby. He said he broke up with her as soon as he realized he was still in love with Brooke. Brooke could feel the ground beneath her get deeper. She felt like she was in a hole & couldn’t get out. She knew she dug the hole herself & it was up to her to get out.

Brooke: Luke, we can’t.

Luke: Come on, we were so good together. We can be that power couple we once were. Remember? We were gonna go to college, make out everyday, graduate, I was gonna coach college ball & we’d get married & have the cutest kids in the world...

Brooke: Luke, stop.

Luke: It’s him isn’t it?

Brooke: Jayce has been there for me.

Luke: So you’re going to leave me for some random?

Brooke: He’s not random. And you’re right, Luke. We were “once” that power couple. And you know what? We can never get that back because you messed up. You forfeited our future when you cheated on me.

Luke: So that’s it?

Brooke: I would say sorry, but I’m not. You really hurt me, Luke. We’re just not meant to be.

Luke stands up, grabs his bag & looks at Brooke.

Luke: Bye, Brooke.

Brooke remained on the couch as she watched Luke walk out of the coffee shop & out of her life. This was for the best.