Sagittal craniosynostosis

Ashley

My Daughter was born in Arkansas and she was the healthiest baby and everything seemed fine until she was about 5 months old, it was harder for me to put her shirt over her head. I had told my husband something wasn't right with her head. Drs all said that she was fine and nothing to worry about. Well we ended moving back to our home state Missouri, and I got insurance changed over and we had scheduled a Drs appointment. By this time my daughter is 8 months old and her head seems to be getting bigger up front. The dr took one look at her and said I think she has sagittal craniosynostosis. And I said what is that? Part of her skull has been fused together prematurely. We got referred to a Neurosurgeon in St. Louis and in 3 weeks we were being seen, She had to have an xray and everything was confirmed, she was gonna need to have surgery. We had seen the Neurosurgeon in june and by August 15th her surgery was scheduled. Those there the longest 2 months of my life. August 14th rolls around and our insurance paid for is a hotel to stay in. We drive the 2 1/2 hours up there stay the night and at the hospital next moring at 530am. We get to the hospital check in and was told her surgery would be over by 12. At 630 I had to hand my baby girl off to the nurses, it was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. They took her back to prep her for surgery and we are ushered to the waiting room. Noon rolls around and we havent heard anything, but 2pm they are finally finished. She needed a blood transfusion (which we knew might be a possibility) turns out she did wonderful, went back and seen my baby girl all drugged out and her face swollen I couldnt handle it. I wanted to take her pain away. She got transferred to a room where she would have to be monitored for 24 hours she did wonderful again and moved on up to the next floor. I had stayed the night with her and she wanted to play all night. She was in the hospital for 3 day. Her head is now slowly starting to shape the way it should be. The neurosurgeon had gone in and cut her from ear to ear and crushed up her skull and placed fake bone that will later dissolve in her head to help shape her head.

It's hard to see the Scars now, but her hair is growing nicely over them. This is Scottlyn and she is a sagittal craniosynostosis warrior 💜