Toddler Sleeping Troubles, Need Advice 😣

Mindy • I like my puns intended.

I have an almost 3 yr old, and for the past several months he has been having some sleeping problems.

He sleeps 8-9hours straight a night... and you think oh that’s not bad! But his bedtime is usually 7:30.... so he’s up about 3:30am... fights with us for a good hour or 2 because he’s AWAKE and wants to play, and then goes back to sleep till 6:30 or 7am then he’s up for the day.

He has the hardest time getting his little brain to shut off and go to sleep as it is. I’ve tried Melatonin, and while it’s amazing at getting him to sleep, he’s usually wakes up about 1-2am, sometimes his usual 3am and then it’s the same fight.

When we don’t give him melatonin, he fights bedtime till almost 10pm and sleeps till 7am. Tonight was great because he fought it till only 9:30 😑 and I have to sit at the end of the bed and completely ignore him till he falls asleep or else he’s up and down, jumping on the bed, playing with toys, whatever he can do to not be sleeping. But whenever I’m in there he gets soooooo mad and it forces him to stay in bed, but he still sings songs and counts and goes momma momma momma momma, while I ignore him and eventually he will go to sleep.

I’ve tried every bedtime imaginable, but he only sleeps for a solid 8-9hours.

He takes an hour nap during the day, so I thought, ok maybe if I drop the nap completely he will sleep better at night... nope. Same night time results, just super cranky during the days. But granted getting him to sleep is easier at night because he crashes but still at a late bedtime.

I can’t have him up till 10pm 🤦🏼‍♀️ but I’m suffering waking up at 3am putting him back in bed over and over and over again, only to have to wake up a couple hours later when he’s awake for the day.

Any suggestions??? I’m 20 weeks pregnant with our second so this had been really hard on me.