Could’ve been the worst day of my life

Please *first and foremost no negative or criticisms comments*

Today as a lot of you know, is Super Bowl Sunday. My husband, my two year old, and myself went to a Super Bowl get together. It was hosted in this nice apartment building but they rented out a private space specifically for the event. There were not too many people and there were a few kids. One older than my son and two babies. As soon as we got there, my son and I got a plate of food. He ate a little bit of pizza and hopped off the bar stool. I was still sitting down to eat my food but mind you he is about only about maybe 6 or 7 feet away from me? His dad was in one of the bar stool chairs. I saw my son walk up to the window but I had NO IDEA it was open. Within the blink of an eye he put put his arms in front of him, pushed out the screen, and half of his body was hanging out the window. I SCREAMED his name in panic and in that moment my husband and a friend of ours ran quickly to prevent him from falling. I grabbed my son and I bawled my eyes out. It’s the scariest thing I’ve ever encountered as a parent. My heart jumped out of my chest. I know my husband was also really shaken but he remained calm for the both of us. The mom of the older child came to see if we were okay and also started crying. Tonight I could’ve rode in the ambulance and seen something I’ve never wanted to see. But instead I got to tuck my baby in. I’m so scared. It’s really true when they say life is fragile and anything can happen. I am so so grateful to be able to take my baby home today. The person who jumped to help him said to me “looking down, there’s no way he would’ve survived that fall” and I knew that too. But my son was saved tonight. Had he been slightly taller I feel like he would’ve gone right over. His knees were caught on the ledge. The window is really freaking low to the floor.

This is the window that he was dangling out of. I took it because I never want to forget. The possibility that anything can happen at any given time. Right now I am sitting on the couch watching my son on the monitor. Just like every night. But tonight is different because it could’ve been a different outcome. I am forever grateful.