Mental Health Support
This group is specifically for women who have or know someone with mental illness.
Mindful Walking: A Stress Reduction Technique
Mindful Walking (Walking Meditation)
Hi everyone, I want to introduce everyone to a concept I learned in the book "Undoing Depression: What Therapy Doesn't Teach You and Medication Can't Give You". It's called Mindful Walking. Here are the steps you need to proceed:
1. Go for a walk and make sure you're comfortable. Leave any electronic devices at home for this.
2. Pay attention to your body. The way your head is positioned, the way your arms move, and if you notice pain, try visualizing bringing blood to that area and the pain will lessen.
3. Notice any distinctive features on your path. Be aware of surroundings. Take note of the way your body was built for walking. Your footing, your balance, how the muscles do this automatically without you thinking about it.
4. Be in the present moment. Notice the sights, smells, shadows anything in your surrounding area.
5. Greet people as you meet them. If you're in a city, imagine up a story for each person you see.
6. Notice where your thoughts go. If you are worried, push it back to your subconscious. Again live in the moment only this time in your mind.
Now get out there and do it! If there's bad weather now where you are at make plans to do it another day.