My boy friend is trying to quit drinking

First off he isn’t an aggressive person even when he’s drinking. He’s never been mean to me because of his drinking.. but I saw the changes in him. We’ve been together for 6 years and the drinking definitely got worse in the past 2 years. Up until a couple weeks ago he acted like it was a non issue. Our relationship is struggling right now, we became new parents this past year. It’s definitely been an adjustment that neither of us is thriving in. We want to be the best parents that we can and we want to be the best partners that we can. I’m struggling to support him right now. I’ve been going to Al anon meetings but I still can’t find myself being supportive. I’m so proud of him, truly I am. I can tell his drinking makes him more depressed and it definitely changes his normally calm and understanding personality. But it’s been my experience that people with addictions don’t change. I know that’s not true.. it’s just what I’ve personally experienced. I honestly feel like I’m just putting up walls so I don’t get hurt. I don’t know how to push past this mental block. I want to be on his team. I want to be supportive but the whole topic just makes me shut down.