Finding the Courage to Face Serious Illness

Mary • Hi! I`m Mary. I have a BA in Psychology. Been dealing with PCOS for 22 years. I work at Sander’s Candy and Ice Cream Shop and trying to get my head around this COVID craziness!

As I post to you all today, some of you might have an idea of what courage is and how to find it for yours or another's illness. Others though might not know or are just curious as to what this CareNote has to say on the matter. Anyway, as with any illness especially mental illness, it's important not to get caught up in what if's. Like, "What if I can't find courage?" or "How will I go on or learn to cope." As Ann, a woman who according to author of this CareNote, Jim Auer, had overcome addiction, and several serious surgeries, and as at the time the article was published was going under chemotherapy put it, "I don't [keep my courage up]," "When it runs low, Someone replenishes it."

1. Realize what courage is not. 

Courage unlike the Hollywood version of courage doesn't not mean being afraid of anything. It means acting in spite of fear, getting through things one day at a time. As the one man in this CareNote put it when asked, "How are you feeling today?" He said, "Scared silly actually. Now, how are the Dodgers doing?" It also involves working with doctors, therapists, counselors, when needed and not refusing help when it's offered to you. Acceptance is not weakness. Doing things on your own is good up to a point. It might not be best for ill individuals to go at it alone, as the effects might be physically and emotionally damaging to all involved including the patient. 

"There can be no courage unless you're afraid." - Eddie Rickenbacker

2. Believe in your own courage and it's source. 

The capacity of courage is already placed in us by God, or if you are not religious, is something that is designed into us naturally. When Jesus told the man with the withered hand, "Stretch out your hand," the man had to take the initiative and try in the face of doubt, and when he tried he was rewarded for his courage and healed. Try little bits of "right steps" at a time and before you know it, you'll be practicing courage. 

"[Serious Illness] is no laughing matter, but whether it is cancer or any other trial in life, laughing does matter." - Scott Burton

3. Search for meaning. 

It's tough facing an illness without trying to find some meaning in it. As psychiatrist Viktor Frankel, a survivor of the Nazi concentration camps put it, "Human beings can endure extreme privation if the experience is invested with meaning." The prospect of going through illness with meaning is much easier than just letting yourself give up hope. First attempts might fail, but once you find meaning you can face the challenges ahead with a smile in your heart. Try getting connected with God more through your faith, or try to care for those that are in your similar situation. This is especially important to those of us with mental illness who are labeled as "Crazy" or "Just being needy" or "You're faking it. Snap out if it." We are on the margins, and at least for me in my faith, I see Christ in those people who are mentally ill needing to be ministered to and understood. If anyone is to get through any type of illness then you or your loved one has to realize eventually that they have to stop feeling sorry for themselves and get their suffering fellows, whoever they are and whatever they are suffering with, help and fellowship. Going at it together is definitely better than going at it alone! 

"Courage is not simply one of 

the virtues but the form of every virtue at the testing point." - C.S. Lewis

4. Cultivate active acceptance.

Now what does that mean exactly? It means coming to terms with your reality and learning how to best deal with your situation. A change in attitude definitely makes a difference and can, as physicians have told many a patient before, affect the outcome of treatment. A good attitude might in fact lead to a healthier state of mind that only that knowledge or the peace of God can bring. Courage is sure to follow. 

5. Let mirth be your metal. 

Courage has been portrayed as iron or steel. But what hardness that steel? Fire, in the form of Scripture or lightheartedness. The Word of God brings comfort to those who are suffering and lightheartedness, in other words, finding a way to laugh at the illness and finding the beauty in everything, is probably the best way to getting healthy not only physically but emotionally as well. There's a humor links you can find on this site www.refdesk.com that will help you to find humor and lift the burdens off your shoulders. Surround yourself and get encouraged by happy things: balloons, puppies, flowers, kittens, anything that suits your fancy. If you can't do your favorite thing anymore, then find another passion. We are only prisoners of our heart if we lock ourselves in and throw away the key! 

6. Take heart. 

"The English word courage comes from the French word for heart. Like the Lion and the Tin Man, you have both. Courage will not lead you to scoff at illness or minimize it's seriousness. But it will enable you to dismiss the idea that illness can defeat you, break your spirit, or rob your life of meaning." - Jim Auer 

Author of this CareNote

Source: 

CareNotes

"Finding the Courage to Face a Serious Illness" by Jim Auer